education

http://feeds.kpbs.org/kpbs/education

Friday, July 29, 2011

PLN

1. PLN stands for personal Learning Network. This is a system that is set up by a user to utilize web 2.0 more efficiently. The internet is filled with information and having a PLN controls that information and focalizes it for a user to use more proficiently. My PLN consist of email, Facebook, Google search engine, and various apps (applications). My PLN will aid me to be a better teacher by allowing me to save time with communication, assignments and organization. I am planning on using my Google account to sync my calendars with all my computer devises. Also using Google to have RSS feeds and Google documents that allow others to read. Having facebook I can make a facebook page for my class and we will have daily reflection postings. Also they will be able to turn their homework assignments into me by facebook messaging. Also will be able to communicate with me easier than waiting after school to ask me a question. I will have the syllabus posted their where the students will be able to access that information anytime they want, and my class will not have to waste funds on paper. Having a search engine will allow me to search for specific topics that I am trying to get more information on. I am hoping too that the school that I work at has something like moodle there. Having a secured web service like moodle is a huge tool to have in today’s education. Have homework, schedule, test, readings, video assignments, and the availability to grade some of these things will save a teacher hours. And has a teacher and a coach time is very important. I plan to use my PLN to help engage the students in the topic that we are covering, and to aid me as an educator. Saving me time and organizing my work will allow me to be a better teacher due to more time preparing and focusing on teaching rather than all the paper work.

2. I really don’t use much RSS feeds or blogs. The only thing that I real have is an npr app. It allows me to pick the stories that I want to listen to. I also gather my news from yahoo, and Goggle. I gather generic news, but that is about it. At this time in my life I have to admit that I am more concerned with sports than cnbc news stuff.


3. Twitter I do not use much. I really haven’t tapped into the real use of it yet. I follow Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart as of now, also a few other friends. I follow Stephen Colbert because he is humorous and usual has some sort of political humor in his tweets.

4. Diigo is new to me. The first time that I had heard of diigo was in class. As of now I am subscribe to several PE and health sites. I read these to educate myself on the newest and best way to run a successful PE class. I am not a Physical Educator yet I am trying to prepare myself to become the best one that I can be. Diigo allows me to get up to date information on topics that I am interested in. It sorts it out for me and I just have to make the link.

5. Reflect on the blog post, video, or article you explored.
I joined EducationPLN, and watched a great video on Google+ (http://edupln.com/video/what-is-google-google-plus-and) It was an intro YouTube video of what the new Google+ social media site has to offer. It explains about new circles that you can place people in, and how everything you use is Google anyways. He said it is not whether you will switch from Facebook to Google+, but when you will switch.

6. It has been great to learn about so many uses of web 2.0. My PLN has grown by adding Diigo, Twitter, and RSS feeds. I don’t really see myself keeping up with twitter; however it was good to learn about all the things it has to offer to an educator. Going over all this has really opened up my mind, and has made me think of many cool ways to add my PLN to my teaching and to my classroom, within and outside of my classroom walls. I was really glad to learn about Google+ social networking site. I am definitely going to be using that. Overall this was a great section of personal learning networks, and am glad that I have received this information, and also see many ways that this will save me time, energy, and organization. Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment